Installing or Upgrading OSLC Connect for Windchill
These procedures extend Windchill so that the Windchill user is presented with additional Windchill User
Interface elements that expose controls and forms for the consumption of OSLC information from configured OSLC
Providers. The procedures also manually configure Windchill with new properties to store relationships with
chosen OSLC Providers.
Prepare installation files on the Windchill server
- Confirm that Windchill itself is installed and is operational.
- Visit a URL like
http://windchill.acme.com/Windchill/app in a web browser.
- Log into the Windchill server as an Administrator and as a Windchill Administrator
- use a terminal session that supports graphic display (e.g. native desktop hardware, RDP, VNC, or X
- Browse to the installation directory of PTC Windchill
- For Windows, this resembles:
- For Linux, this resembles:
- Run Windchill Shell with command
- Copy the windchill_resources zip file to a temporary staging directory, for example
- If installing on Windhill 11.0 to 11.2.0.x, use the
- If installing on Windchill 11.2.1.x or above, use the
- Create a dedicated installation folder for each OSLC Connect for Windchill release and unzip the Windchill resources Zip file inside it.
- A default property file named
extension.properties is at the same level as the unzipped files.
This property file contains default value of needed properties for extension to install.
The needed properties are the identifier of database, the path to the Windchill install and the url
of OSLC Connect for Windchill.
You must change the values by editing the file
If you a have a version of OSLC Connect for Windchill already installed, you can copy the values from the
wt.db.type is the type of the database:
oracle for Oracle, or
sqlserver for SQL Server
wt.install.dir is the path to the root directory of Windchill install (example :
windchill.contextPath is the context path inside the Windchill URL. (example :
Windchill for URL
wt.apache.httpServer is the apache configuration directory path (example:
If this property is not set, the install script will use the default directory
extension.properties file located inside the previous version installation folder.
- Stop the Windchill service
Launch the extension installation script
- If you are planning a fresh install : run the Ant script to install the OSLC Connect for Windchill Extension
ant -f extensionInstall.xml, if installing the extension on a monolithic Windchill or a Windchill cluster master node
ant -f extensionInstall.xml slave, if installing the extension on a Windchill cluster slave node
- Otherwise if you are planning the update of a version already installed: run the Ant script to update the OSLC Connect for Windchill Extension
ant -f extensionUpdate.xml, if installing the extension on a monolithic Windchill or a Windchill cluster master node
ant -f extensionUpdate.xml slave, if installing the extension on a Windchill cluster slave node
- Additional actions may be required  depending on the release version, please refer to the Upgrading Actions in Release Notes for details.
- The Ant script asks input arguments in addition to file
db-password is the password matching the Windchill user, property [wt.pom.dbUser] configured in wt.home/Windchill/db/db.properties
- Wait for the script to:
- copy files to the installed Windchill directories
- copy the config file that exposes the
/oslc-connect url to Windchill Apache HTTPServer
- update the Windchill SQL database with the new tables
- run the Windchill
xconfmanager properties propagation task
- Carefully monitor execution of the script and capture any failure messages
- As the extension contains custom Windchill action models, the extension script merges custom Windchill action models into Windchill
custom-actionModels.xml file. If after the installation You experience issues with Windchill action models into Windchill action models, follow the procedure in
Resolve OSLC Connect action model conflicts.
- As the extension contains a configuration file for the Apache HTTPServer, be aware that the Ant script won't install the file if the Apache HTTPServer is not on the same machine as Windchill. In that case this file must be deployed manually.
See the Check the deployment of the OSLC Connect for Windchill Extension page to locate the destination folder.
When the script runs successfully, this completes deployment of the extension.
- Start the Windchill service, and restart the Apache HTTPServer
- If you had a web browser open with the previous version of the extension before the installation, close all active browser sessions, or clear the browser cache.
Installation on a cluster
When using a Windchill cluster installation, there are 2 options:
- You are using a file synchronization tool, such as Robocopy (Windows) or rsync (Linux). In that case,
you only have to perform the installation on the master node.
- Otherwise, the whole procedure needs to be repeated on each individual cluster node. The only difference is that, as detailed in the steps above, the installation
script must be called with the
slave argument on cluster slave nodes. This will allow the installation to run faster, as some operations only need to be
performed on the master node.
Follow our guides to Check the deployment of the OSLC Connect for Windchill Extension,
and to fix SodiusWillert extensions deployment with database errors.